May 30, 2010

Daily Photo Tour - Splash Mountain


Why is Splash Mountain so epic? I mean really. I've seen kids jump on Space Mountain or the Matterhorn like nothin'. But Splash Mountain just has this ominous, I'm about to die, feel about it. Maybe if Disney hid the drop, no, maybe if they quieted the screams? Splash Mountain is just one of those rides that is incomparable. There isn't any log flume that even has a chance. Splash Mountain is the original log flume. Seriously, I dare you to walk by the drop and not stop and look. You can't, it's almost impossible. I've ridden roller coasters and rides all around Southern California, several times over. I could tell you every twist and turn in order on most of Magic Mountain's steel behemoths. Sadly, because of this, these rides have become predictable, and they lose their intensity and suprise. I can't figure out for the life of me why this doesn't happen on the drop of Splash Mountain. Everytime, I lose my stomach. I have probably ridden it a hundred times over. Evertime as I climb the hill and crest the top that feeling enters, and my stomach ends up in my throat. I love it.

Splash Mountain during the day at DisneylandPhoto by Kevin Crone

Comments (4)

On March 20, 2011 at 4:53 PM , Anonymous said...

Keven:

I agree with you I had the chance to visit DISNEYLAND in 1995 for the 40th anniversary. And it was my first time on the ride boy this ride is just what would WALT DISNEY would have imagine for sure This ride is so trilling that you can explain the felling you have when you ride it you have to get that felling the moment you step in the FLUME LOG and ride that super fantastic ride. I like the way you have taken that shout again just like the one for Christmas you did before wow you have capture the complete ride in a different kind of angle BRAVO.

Andre R MICKEY Lambert (facebook)

 
On March 24, 2011 at 4:47 PM , Kevin Crone said...

Thanks Andre! Walt would have definitely loved this ride. The angle really helps to get the entire mountain in the shot!

 
On April 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM , inwlt6 said...

It's true! Every time I climb up the top, my stomach ends up in my throat! The drop us 5 stories high (52.5)feet.

 
On September 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM , Anonymous said...

I was lucky to be there the year Splash Mountain opened at Disneyland. We talked to a CM about it while he was swinging a broom. He said that days before Michael Eisner rode it and something didn't quite work correctly, too much water or something like that. It is and always will be my favorite ride there or at WDW :)