April 5, 2011

Daily Photo Tour - The Curious Child


I'm thankful that I had the chance to visit Disneyland as a child. I still have memories from the first time I went. I was five years old. I recently stumbled across a picture of myself during this trip. It was very surreal. I was standing in front of the Mark Twain at night, as it moved through the Rivers of America. I wasn't much taller then the fence behind me, and I seemed to have the largest smile on my face. When we are kids, we dream, we believe. There isn't anything standing in our way. But somewhere between childhood and adulthood all of that fades away. We fall into the rhythm of our everyday routine and become a slave to the constant cycle and never ending pattern that we so happen to call life. But, life is more than this.

There is a spirit about children, and until recently I hadn't experienced since I was younger. When you are a kid, it's easy to look forward toward the future and think, "Yeah, when I get older I will do this." But when you are an adult, and that dream hasn't manifested itself yet, it's easy to get discouraged and believe the lie that it will never happen. But this isn’t true. All it takes is belief in yourself, a little curiosity, and a little searching of the self if you will. Two Christmas’s ago I found myself sitting on a bench in the middle of the hub at Disneyland (my favorite spot) thinking about what I wanted to do with my life. (Let me note that I was more then halfway through my B.S. in Civil Engineering) I felt that it wasn’t right finishing my degree. I had a passion for Cinematography, and Photography. I’ve always felt the draw to these things, but never really followed them. Sitting there that night, I felt the ideas and feelings I’ve described earlier. What if I dropped everything and pursued my dreams. For the first time in a long time I felt like a kid again. I got excited for life. I felt like I could do anything. There weren’t any walls. It’s this spirit that I’m pretty positive Walt Disney never forgot.

Photo by Kevin Crone

Comments (4)

On April 6, 2011 at 2:45 AM , Anonymous said...

KEVIN:

Truth to the word you just said:

I remember the day I was in front of the T.V. in (BLACK IN WHITE) on July 17 1955 The hold FAMILY was glued to the T.V. for the opening of DISNEYLAND the park BY WALT DISNEY HIMSELF and we were doing some haaaa and heeee and hoooo and the the show was over I turn to my father and said to him I will one day see this fantastic PARK that WALT DISNEY has built. I was 5 years old at the time. And then I grow up when to school when that was over started to work and year and year pass and then one day the opportunity rose to me that I won a trip around the world via AIR CANADA and $3000.oo sending money from a contest held here in my CITY MONTREAL via the T.V. show on the canal CFCF 12 and I chose to visit CALIFORNIA so I could come and see for myself this fantastic park that WALT has built I was 45 years old at the time,in 1995.

So 40 year after I have seen that opening on T.V. I was putting my feet inside this fantastic PARK for the first time and the HAAAAA!!!, and the HEEEEE!!!, and the HOOOOO!!! just came back to me from the very first time I said it when watching the opening. Yes my (CURIOSITY) was even stronger then, then it was when I was 5 years old. The felling you get when you step inside this PARK or any DISNEY park is real you leave the (EVERY DAY LIVE) and enter the world of fantasy.

The quote that you added from WALT DISNEY is truth even IN today live.

SUPERB PHOTO HAS USUAL (BRAVO)

P.S. WE WILL ALWAY BE A KID AT HEART WHEN WE VISIT THIS PLACE EVEN IN (ADULT)

Andre R MICKEY Lambert (FACEBOOK)

 
On April 6, 2011 at 6:26 PM , Somer said...

So lovely. Lovely picture. Lovely thoughts. Thanks Kevin!

 
On April 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM , Kevin Crone said...

@Andre... Wow! What a great story! That is truely an amazing story. How lucky you were to have won such an amazing opportunity.

@Somer... Thank you Somer. Quite a novel I wrote there...lol. Thanks for taking the time to read it!

 
On November 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM , Anonymous said...

Oh what ever happened to my mine scene I did in 1979 as a part of Big thunder? It was there in 2000. It added so much to this barren faceless tunnel. It utilized the old Natures Wonderland trestle supports to help lift 2 600 pound 120 year old ore cars that were on a mine track and dumping into the river below. Rusty