January 5, 2012

Daily Photo Tour - A Golden Splash


To this day, I still remember my first experience riding Splash Mountain. It's as if it were yesterday and that is probably due in large part to the fact that I was beyond freaked out through the entire queue. I must have been 5 years old and I was riding Splash with my dad. I became tense as soon as we entered the queue and I began to tear up the closer we got, My dad comforting me the entire time. I had calmed down enough to stop crying by the time we boarded, but the nerves wouldn't let up. Even the cheerful singing throughout the ride seemed to taunt me. The ominous music right before the precipice and then the drop, inevitable destruction. I quickly found out that total annihilation was not our fate. Splash Mountain was nothing more than a large steep slide of sorts that was really quite fun. I ended up having a blast and the relief I found from surviving something I was so afraid of was priceless. My Dad is very much responsible for most of the risks I've taken in my life. He taught me fearlessness. Ok, so Splash Mountain may seem like a small feat, but at 5 years old, it was huge. It was one of the many ways he taught me to dive into things regardless of how afraid I was and I will be forever grateful to him for that.

Splash Mountain at sunset - Critter Country, Disneyland
Photo by Michaela Hansen

Comment (1)

On January 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM , Alisha said...

I was 6 when it opened in 1989 but I was too scared to ride it until I was 14. LOL! It's now my favorite ride, though- go figure! Beautiful shot.