July 10, 2013

Daily Photo Tour - Now it's Time to Say Goodnight


It had been a long, wonderful, rainy day. We'd come prepared with umbrellas and plastic bags for covering our cameras. It was an adventure.

Whether we like it or not, whether we acknowledge it or not, life is an adventure. I know that many of you reading this know that. It's part of the reason we love Disneyland. It's an ideal adventure; a day filled with opportunities, missions and decisions. You can expect the unexpected. You can do the impossible. Good always triumphs over evil. (I don't know about you, but for me, that is a prerequisite for a good adventure. What would Raiders of the Lost Ark be if the Nazis had beaten Indiana Jones? It may have still contained elements of adventure, but it would be a tragedy.) I think Walt, ever the optimist, intended for Disneyland to not just be an ideal adventure, but to inspire us to live our own ideal adventures. In everything he set his hands to, he aimed to entertain, but more importantly, to bring out the goodness in people. That's remarkable. So often, we look to the future, thinking that someday things will get better, things will be better. It's great to be hopeful for the future but let me ask you this - why not today? Why shouldn't "better" be right now? We have a tendency to procrastinate when it comes to taking charge over our lives and sometimes we get caught up with the failures of the past or, perhaps, the nostalgia of it, all of which prevents us from making the most of the present. Adventures don't happen in the past, though we can look back fondly on them and learn from them, nor do they happen in the future, though we can do our best to prepare for them. So quit talking and lay hold of that wonderful thing called "life". Adventure happens now.

The Partners Statue, Walt and Mickey on a rainy night in the hub at Disneyland
Photo by Matthew Hansen

Comments (4)

On July 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM , David Brawn said...

Thanks! I recently had to cancel a trip to DLR because of a spinal surgery and I am sitting up tonight feeling sorry for myself when I saw your picture on Facebook. Now I am thinking of other vacations and other recent activities and I have a smile on my face. Sometimes I just need a nudge and you three are there for me!

 
On July 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM , R. Modien said...

What a glorious picture and verbal sentiment. Do the three of you know just how much you're helping and inspiring people around the world with your extraordinary art? Bravo! From my heart to yours, thank you.

 
On July 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM , Stephanie Johnson said...

Love the picture, and love the sentiment even more! This just what I needed to hear today :)

 
On July 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM , Carissa Rupe said...

Thank you this picture is beautiful! I also loved the sentiment behind the picture.
On a random note I LOVE rainy days in the park. I am from a valley desert, we do not get much rain here, but when it rains it does not seem to matter it is always peaceful, and add that peacefulness with the magical feeling of Disneyland, that is my paradise on earth, not to mention the way the street lights glisten off the wet cobblestones! LOVE LOVE it!