June 8, 2010

Daily Photo Tour - Realizing a Dream


There is a little bit of Walt everywhere. The bench that he sat on when he came up with the idea for Disneyland rests in The Disney Gallery, just a few feet between onlookers and a velvet rope. The last ride he helped design has become the most popular ride in Disneyland history, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Fire Department where he frequently stayed are the many places that always bring the memory of Walt to my attention. And whenever I think of Walt, I think of dreams. The dreams that were personal to him, he made so tangible. A lot of people I talk to just "don't get" Disneyland. They don't understand why someone would pay seventy-two dollars a ticket to visit a theme park for one stinkin' day. They don't understand the many of us that become quite obsessed with what some would call a piece of land. Well, it's because Disneyland is more then just a piece of land or a theme park. It is a dream made into reality. It gives us all hope that one day we can turn our dreams into realities. The dreams that we hold so close to our heart. The dreams that get us out of bed every morning. Whether they are big dreams, small dreams, or impossible dreams, they are the passion of the soul that gives us hope every day. We only get one chance in this life to follow those dreams. We only get one chance to make it happen. Walt made it happen. On opening day he stood in the apartment atop the Fire Station. As kids poured into the park a young mouseketeer, Sharon Baird, got a first hand glance into the emotions of a dream come true.....

"I was standing next to him at the window, watching the guests come through the gates. When I looked up at him, he had his hands behind his back, a grin from ear to ear, and I could see a lump in his throat and a tear streaming down his cheek. He had realized his dream."

Disneyland Fire Department, Walt's Apartment
Photo by Kevin Crone

Comments (2)

On January 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM , mickeychick22 said...

I feel the same way about Disneyland! I love Walt, my kids thought I was silly when we went because I would wave to the window above the Fire station & say hi to Walt & when we left I waved goodbye! I have alot of biographies about him. I can't believe all the horrible rumors people like to spread! He was never a racist man. I can't wait to go back to Disneyland!

 
On January 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM , Kevin Crone said...

That is very cool. When your children are older, they will understand. :)