March 6, 2011

Daily Photo Tour - Mysterious Matterhorn


In 1956, just one year after Disneyland had opened to the public, Walt Disney proposed a bobsled styled ride where passengers could barrel down a mountain at high speeds. This was almost unheard of at the time, but with emerging technologies, and Walt Disney's excursion into the Swiss Alps, the Matterhorn was born. It was the first steel tubular roller coaster, and is considered by many a classic.

Matterhorn at Disneyland
Photo by Kevin Crone

Comments (4)

On March 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM , Kelly Anderson said...

Thank you so much for this picture! I've been living on the East Coast now for 5 months and even though I've been to Disney World 3 times in that time, it's certainly not the same as Disneyland. I've found that other than my favorite ride (Indy), what I miss the most is the Matterhorn! I can't wait until I get to go back and see it looming over me again, balancing out the landscape with the castle. I love seeing pictures of it now, especially here where they are so beautiful!

 
On March 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM , Kevin Crone said...

You are very welcome! So sad that there is no Indy or Matterhorn there. How are you able to sleep at night! :p

 
On March 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM , Jennie said...

This is a beautiful photo. My step father was the steel reinforcing contractor for the original Matterhorn project. When they redid it a few years ago I got a piece of the mountain which sits under plexiglas in my Disney scrap/craft room.

 
On March 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Kevin Crone said...

Thank you. Wow! That is so cool! My great grandfather helped construct It's a Small World when they brought it over. :)