August 4, 2011

Daily Photo Tour - The Ravens Never Flitting, Still Are Sitting


As I wandered through Le Bat en Rouge one day, I was struck by the amazing decor sitting atop one of the bookcases. Although it's a little dark and eerie, I was very intrigued by it and found it rather beautiful. I don't know that any inspiration for the design of this shop came from Edgar Allen Poe's, "The Raven", but the silken uncertain rustling of the purple curtain and the ravens never flittering, always sitting, brought it to mind. I imagine the creative minds behind Disney are very well read and use that knowledge to convey a mood to one lingering long enough to notice. It does make one feel a little unsettled and a little weary that as you attempt to leave this place, you dread the response of the ghastly grim raven, 'Nevermore' , and nothing more.

Ravens inside of Le Bat en Rouge in New Orleans Square, Disneyland
Photo by Michaela Hansen

Comments (2)

On August 30, 2011 at 1:57 PM , Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite shops in New Orleans Square--or all of Disneyland, for that matter. Halloween Time is my favorite time of year at DL, as all of the shops at the resort get decked out--I think Le Bat en Rouge may look like this year-round, though.

The raven is my favorite bird, and the photo here, with the other display elements, gives the scene an ethereal, almost dream-like quality. Absolutely stunning. Thanks!

--Mike

 
On August 31, 2011 at 2:09 PM , Anonymous said...

Thank you Mike! This is one of my favorite shops as well. I just love the look and feel. It's unlike anything else in Disneyland.