March 7, 2012

Daily Photo Tour -A Small World After All


We were deeply saddened to learn of Robert Sherman's passing on Monday. As I sat down tonight to pick out a picture to work on, I knew it had to be It's a Small World. It's difficult to imagine a world without the music that Robert and his brother, Richard, made together. Sherman brothers melodies are ubiquitous and rightfully so. I have never heard a song with more ability to linger in one's head than one of theirs. The music so easy to sing to. The words so poignant and memorable. If you haven't seen the documentary on the brothers entitled "The Boys", you should. It gives insight to the lives of Robert and Richard that allows a much greater appreciation, which they are so deserving of. I read once that weeping endures for a night, but joy comes with the morning. While I mourn the loss of a great man, I know it's because of him and others like him, who generously share their gifts with the world in order to make it a better place, that there is a great big beautiful tomorrow with joy just beyond the horizon.

Here is a quote I really want to share with you from Jeff Sherman, Robert's son -

"My dad passed away peacefully in London on Monday night. He was an incredible man who loved life and lived it to the fullest. As he often said, he wanted to bring happiness into the world, and unquestionably he succeeded. His love and his prayers, his philosophy and his poetry will live on forever. Forever his songs and his genius will bring hope, joy, and love to this small world."

A Small World After All - Disneyland
Photo by Matthew Hansen

Comments (3)

On March 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM , Anonymous said...

I believe what you do is art. That being said, everyone has their own interpretation of each piece of art. When I look at this picture you have posted tonight, I am filled with so much emotion. Reading your words and reflecting on the gift Robert Sherman shared with the world, I am brought to tears. I see the dark, cloudy sky as the sorrow and pain so many are feeling with his passing. Yet, I look at the colors and remember the laughter and the joy, experienced with his music. Thank you for this very fitting tribute and for generously sharing your gift as well.

 
On March 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM , Daveland said...

Excellent photo and a lovely tribute. Well done!

 
On March 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM , Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful tribute to one of the greats. Thank you!