May 9, 2012

Daily Photo Tour - The Monorail Races Through Fantasyland


As I understand it, there used to be motorboats in this pond at Fantasia Gardens in Fantasyland. They were before my time so I never had the opportunity to ride in them. That doesn't stop me from trying to imagine what it would have been like when I'm there. As I stood there taking in this view and all of its tranquility, I knew I wanted to try and capture it. I set up the tripod, set my exposure, set my timer and off my camera went, clicking through three frames. A few seconds into the third shot, I heard the Monorail coming. "Dangit, I'm gonna have to take this again", I said. Fortunately for me, Michaela had the sense to say, "Why don't you just wait and see what you get? It might be really cool." I find that things work out well when I take her advice. Thank goodness for my brilliant wife, who deserves credit for what I consider a happy accident with this picture. It wasn't what I had set out to get but turned into something I love. When you stand here, the Monorail makes its way through with surprising frequency. I always enjoy when it does because it's this beautiful, futuristic vehicle that just shines amidst the natural beauty of Fantasia Gardens and the magic of Fantasyland.

*Update* Apparently the motorboats were around until the early '90s, so... not before my time. However, I don't recall ever having gone on them. Some great information about them can be found over at Daveland - http://davelandweb.com/motorboatcruise/


The Monorail Races Through Fantasyland at night - Disneyland
Photo by Matthew Hansen

Comments (2)

On May 10, 2012 at 5:32 AM , Daveland said...

Love those happy accidents; I remember seeing this on the viewfinder...even more impressive seeing it now! That streak of blue light is so cool! You owe Michaela on this one.

 
On May 10, 2012 at 8:28 AM , Matthew Hansen said...

Thanks Dave! I'm really happy with how it turned out. Michaela definitely came through on this one for me. Wasn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last!