June 17, 2012

Daily Photo Tour - The Glow at Flo's


I was a bit of a skeptic back when I first heard there was a whole land being built for Cars. I had seen the movie once but hadn't connected with it at the time. I grew up right off of Route 66 between Victorville and Barstow with a pretty poor outlook of my hometown and its surroundings. That's not to say that I didn't love the old buildings along the road, the unique people, the rusty signs, I did. But I grew up feeling it was inferior and almost ashamed to answer the question, "Where are you from?"

The announcement of Cars Land piqued my interest and I sat back down to watch the movie. The second go round was a different experience entirely. I found myself deeply moved with some sort of approval to appreciate the beauty and stories I grew up immersed in. In some way it made me feel more whole, more free.

Yesterday we stepped into Cars Land for the first time. Almost ninety minutes from where I grew up, I felt like I was home. There is an authenticity to this place that cannot verbally be conveyed, it has to be experienced. It's impossible to miss the love that has gone into this new land. I didn't want to leave and was more than content to spend most of the day there.

To everyone who had a part to play in this, thank you from the bottom of my heart. In Cars Land life really is a dream.


The Glow at Flo's V8 Cafe in Cars Land at California Adventure during the neon lighting
Photo by Matthew Hansen

Comments (3)

On June 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM , Daveland said...

So many things to shoot at night in Cars Land....but I think Flo's was my fave! Great job, Matt!

 
On June 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM , MousePrincess said...

LOVE it!. Can't wait to see more from Cars Land. I was fortunate to see it on an AP preview last week and LOVED it, especially after dark.

 
On June 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM , Marika said...

Sometimes all it takes is a perspective switch to appreciate what you once took for granted. After being in flat Indiana for a few months, it was wonderful to come back to the desert and see the mountains. I'm looking forward to seeing Cars Land and hoping it's just as authentic as you say it is. (Not that I don't trust you.)