June 18, 2012

Daily Photo Tour - The Rusty Range


I'm not one who is easily overcome by emotions when it comes to things related to theme parks or Disneyland in this case. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely have a deep appreciation for the Disneyland Resort. The incredible attention to detail in every area, the amazing storytelling, and the nostalgia that it provides from generation to generation, but I rarely find myself speechless. With that said, I was expecting a similar reaction to Cars Land, great appreciation for a beautiful addition, nothing more. As I entered Cars Land for the first time, I was overwhelmed with emotions I was not expecting, a new found appreciation for the desert in which I find myself now and a sense of awe I have not felt since I was a child. There really are no words to describe the feeling you get as you walk into Cars Land for the first time. Sure there are an array of photos to be found online sharing a glimpse of what this place is, but to say they do Cars Land justice would be a lie. As Matthew said, it must be experienced. As I was taking this photo the other evening, I was completely overwhelmed by the shear enormity of Ornament Valley. I found myself gazing up in awe as if staring at the stars, wondering "How? How were they able to create something so incredibly beautiful?" Quickly brushing that thought aside, I stood quietly soaking it all in.

Home of the Cadillac Range
Photo by Michaela Hansen

Comments (3)

On June 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM , Michael in Phoenix said...

Living in Phoenix, I recently had the task of driving to Las Vegas on business. As I drove through Kingman, AZ, I was struck by the rock formations that looked so familiar. Where had I seen them before? I had never, to my swiftly fading recollection, driven this route before. Then it hit me! CARS! The movie! So many of the rock formations looked like snapshots right out of Radiator Springs. I think I remember something about the Pixar artists taking a 'field trip' to AZ and perhaps Nevada and Utah while they were working on the layouts for the film. SO GLAD to hear they've done it up right in Cars Land. Can't Wait To See It!

 
On June 19, 2012 at 4:19 AM , Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!

Christian

 
On June 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM , Anonymous said...

Michael, they really did an incredible job and I think you will be blown away by how authentic it feels. Can't wait for you to see it!

Christian, thank you!