January 1, 2013


Daily Photo Tour - A Resolution for the New Year


Well, here we are, January 1st. Another year has passed. I'd like to think that today is just any day, but it isn't. I always pretend that the first of the year is just another holiday, but I'm totally lying to myself, it is much more than that. I tend to look back on the entire year, as I'm sure most of you do on this day, and think what has changed. Not geographically or physically. Not even financially. But how I have changed? How I have grown? What have I learned, and who have I learned it from? How have I affected other people? Who has affected me? What have I sacrificed this year, and how have I loved? These always prove to be the hardest questions to ask, but the answers will give you a deep understanding of your character this past year, what needs to change, and what needs to stay constant.

For me, I have learned that I need to guard my heart. Not to be so vulnerable, and to be patient and realistic. I've learned to not bottle up my feelings, but rather to bring my emotion to the front of my mind, so I can understand it and deal with it in a healthy way. I've learned that my actions speak volumes, and even more, my lack of action has sometimes an even greater effect.

I've learned so many things from so many people. Whether it's an epic conversation in a living room, or a meaningful yet difficult talk that I really needed to have sitting in a parked car with a great friend. My friends have made such an impact on my life and it's because they were honest and truthful with me about my actions and attitude.

I don't know how I have affected other people, but I would hope that I have caused some to follow their passion, believe in their dreams, and to do the right thing. This year I have sacrificed my pride in a way that I never thought I would have to do. And how have I loved? Well, that is the most important question of them all, and the one that has left me silent this year. If I can be completely honest with myself, I can't think of a moment this year that I have truly loved. Not the romantic type of love, but the giving, sacrificial love that is most apparent and relevant relationally. I have been given so much from so many people, but I have given back so little. Relationships are so important, and it is love that is at the center of them. This will be the very thing I change this year. A resolution to love.

Disneyland - Walt and Mickey
Photo by Kevin Crone

Comments (3)

On January 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM , Lyndsey said...

Wow. Another breathtaking picture-- I think this is one of my favorites that I've seen on this blog. The colors here are just magnificent-- the stunning array of colorful flowers pops right out of the picture (I swear, I can smell their fragrance from here!), the vivid, fresh pink of the blossoms of the tree, the comforting and fanciful glowing pink of the castle, the splotches of blue light shining through the darkest storm clouds-- they all ooze this feeling of love and warmth and sparkle with awe-inspiring beauty. Set against the darker background, this array of warming and exciting colors seems to convey the idea that love, friendship, and the beauty in life always thrive within the heart, despite the darkness that may surround us from time to time. I'm really in love with this picture.

You are all an inspiration to me. Each post carries a reminder to cherish the relationships in my life, to seize the day, to appreciate the beauty in life, to pursue my dreams, and, of course, to love. All things that, although are definitely recognized today as the New Year begins, are actions and ideas to be remembered with the promise and allure of each new sunrise. Thank you for spreading your beautiful thoughts and words to the world along with your stunning photography of one of the happiest place on Earth.

I wish a happy new year to all of you at Tours Departing Daily. Here's to the beginning of a beautiful year. May your 2013 overflow with love. :)

-Lyndsey

 
On January 2, 2013 at 7:38 AM , Kasey said...

Thank you for another beautiful photograph. Every time I see one of your photographs it makes me smile. Today was truly a treat because you followed it up with such beautiful words. Thank you for the reminder to take time to show your fellow man how much you appreciate them. However, I am going to disagree with you, but only slightly. I don't know you personally, but you and each of your fellow tour guides give us a bit of yourself each time you post a picture. To most of us these pictures aren't just pictures but memories. The way you take the pictures brings back the magic like no ordinary picture can. You have all spread a whole lotta love this year every time you post a picture. Many hours are put into each picture and you share them with us. Thanks for spreading some love and making this world a little brighter. You are all wonderful, talented artists and thoughtful, caring people. I hope that 2013 is everything that you want it to be. Thanks for the smiles, looking forward to many more! Happy new year!

 
On January 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM , Anonymous said...

You write with such passion. I enjoyed your letter attached to this photo. I hope for peace in the world, love in all our families, and for us to put God in the forefront. Take care and God Bless. Happy New Year!

KCmike