January 2, 2013

Daily Photo Tour - The Great Outdoors


It still amazes me how much there is to enjoy at Disneyland. Aside from the myriad manmade marvels there are glimpses of the great outdoors. Take this small forest, for example; it might be difficult to place without a little help. It's at the backside of the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, near the transition from Frontierland to Fantasyland. It's a reminder to me of how Walt loved nature and the many adventures to be found in it and serves as inspiration to give more consideration to my appreciation of the habitat around me.

The Great Outdoors - Frontierland in Disneyland
Photo by Matthew Hansen

Comments (3)

On January 3, 2013 at 6:07 AM , Michael said...

The landscape crew at Disneyland and WDW don't get enough credit! Amazing pros!

We stayed at the Polynesian in WDW. There was a large planting bed right below our 2nd floor balcony. It was quite lush (duh!) and had three medium-sized palm trees in the middle. It was about 30 feet long by 10 feet wide.

One morning we awoke and I noticed that the ENTIRE planting bed had been switched out. EVERYTHING was different from the night before, including the TREES. The landscape crew had done it all that night while we slept, and there wasn't a crumb of dirt out of place. We were sleeping maybe 25 feet away and never heard a peep!

These guys (and gals) are the BEST!

 
On January 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM , Cory Gross said...

Before it was pirated, Tom Sawyer's Island was one of my favourite spots in Disneyland exactly because it was such a naturalized space. In the queit of the morning, looking out over the river, it almsot felt like you weren't even at Disneyland. That is successful themed design.

 
On January 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM , Unknown said...

When I was a castmember, I would start be feel closed in living in downtown Anaheim, so I made it part of my mission on one of my days off I would go into the park and honestly just sit on one of the benches that were in that area near Bith Thunder Ranch. It was peaceful and I felt like I was away from all the hussle and bustle of the outside world. It was my quiet place. I would also just drop in to the park anytime I had to drive on the 101 and sat there to destress! LOL