June 24, 2011

Daily Photo Tour - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words


In the grand scheme of things, I never thought I would be the kinda guy with a camera. You know what I'm talking about, right? That guy that always sits in the top row of the bleachers with a bazooka zoom lens. The photographer at the wedding who for some reason seems to be lugging around his entire camera kit so he can "get the shot." Or that guy who knows the location of every grassy field located within a 50 mile radius so he can shoot portrait shots for an upcoming graduate. Yeah, I've always known I'd never be "that guy." But what about that guy you see on the side of the road with the tripod set up, and then you realize the sun is setting. Or the person you are casually passing who seems to be taking a picture of something that just seems too ordinary to be taking a picture of. Or what about the guy at Disneyland that's crouched down in the middle of Main Street taking a picture of the Photo Supply Co. and the Omnibus? Yeah, I'm that guy. I don't take pictures for a living. I don't take pictures because people ask me to. I take pictures because when I am behind the lens I feel alive. I feel like I am doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing. When my face isn't behind a camera, I can function, but my mind is constantly saying, "Oh that would be a good picture, that would be an interesting angle." I love photography. It is my passion, and it is how God made me. I am so blessed, and so glad to have discovered this before it was too late. What is your passion? I promise you have one. Go out there and find it.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo by Kevin Crone

Comments (5)

On June 25, 2011 at 4:10 AM , Anonymous said...

KEVIN:

I agree 100% of your comment here today >

This photos is just 100% you, you have capture the lighting and subject just at the right time and those clouds over head wow, you could not have been at the right place at the right time to take this shout awesome (BRAVO) keep it up Keven all the Daily photos TOURS are just superb. thank you for sharing

ANDRE R MICKEY LAMBERT (FACEBOOK)

 
On June 25, 2011 at 5:45 AM , Kelly Anderson said...

Wow, it's scary how much I relate to this post. I haven't become nearly as great as you three when it comes to photos, but I somehow feel like I should be behind the camera most of the time. I always had a vague interest in photography but never took any classes in school or took it as a serious option because it was one of those "artsy" subjects and - much as I loved art - it wasn't going to make me money. Now here I am, all but ignoring a math degree because I am so passionate about photography. I am still trying to build myself a business but it has been a dream of mine to spend a day with you three ever since I first came across your site. I hope I can take a bit from the portrait side of photography and a bit from the HDR side and spend my life doing something I really love.

~Kelly

 
On June 25, 2011 at 8:29 AM , Anonymous said...

Kevin I could not agree with you more, whenever I see a sunset/sunrise I want to capture the glorious painting that God paints for us every day.

 
On June 25, 2011 at 9:11 AM , Kevin Crone said...

@Andre...Thank you so much Andre. :) I always enjoy reading your kind words, and how you personally relate to the photograph. Those clouds are awesome, right? :D :D :D The three of us came around the corner from Adventureland and saw this beautiful display. It was amazing.

@Kelly...You know, this is sadly something that happens all the time in our school system. I know it happened to me. I ended up going to school for Engineering figuring out later that Cinematography and Photography were something that had already been instilled in me long before I knew how to take the derivative of an equation. :/ You should check this video out. Matthew found it over on Trey Ratcliff's website. It's really interesting. Ken Robinson lectures about creativity in school.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html


@Anonymous...I always keep my camera and tripod in the car for moments like that! :D

 
On June 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM , Roland Shaw said...

Wow, I can agree with you on the photography idea. I never wanted to be "that guy" with the camera, I thought they looked funny. Now I have done Homecoming Pictures, Senior Pictures, Baby Pictures, Wedding Pictures, Prom Pictures, Santa Pictures (while playing Santa). I love taking pictures! It turns out that most of the pictures I have taken are for a friend of mines family, they have hired me to do at least 20 different sets of photos. When I am in Disneyland I almost never thought to take "beauty shots" like yours, I almost always do fast quick reference shots for a model I am making of DL. Next time I go though I will remember these pictures and stop to "smell the roses" so to speak.